It is that time of the year where everyone starts new, fresh and full of energy. December gave me some time to relax and regroup after a busy 2016 and what better way to start 2017 with a New Year’s resolution. However, as time goes on and life gets in the way, you forget your resolution.
By end of February, any news years resolution is long forgotten. The gym is a good example. In January, you can’t get an open bike / machine/ walker for love or money. By the end of February, there are a few open spaces and by June… lots of space.
New Year’s Resolution 2017: Incorporate more whisky into my life!
Now that is a resolution I can achieve this year. I am not planning on being unhealthy and irresponsible. I want to enjoy the beautiful golden liquid for many more years to come. However, I looked around for fun and healthy ways to incorporate more whisky into my day.
Also Read: Whisky Chocolate pairing 2017 Edition
5 Fun ways to achieve my New Year’s Resolution
1. Drink more whisky – obviously – the best way. However, moderation is always the key. I want to experiment with a broader range of blends and distilleries this year. A great place to start is to have a glass of one of my favorites, the Glenfiddich 15 yo. And to explore from there. Responsible drinking means not drinking to much. If you are drinking only a glass or 2 of something, then you need to make sure that you are drinking something you can really enjoy. To help with this, I want to try various budget blends and new distilleries this year. To give you a heads up on what is nice and worthwhile and what you should just put down and leave right there on the shelf.
2. Use more Whisky – I found this amazing Whiskey Rye mask at Dischem. It is from Freeman Beauty and affordable at around R90. Freeman makes masks with botanical ingredients that naturally cleanse. This Whiskey Rye mask has Secal Cercale (Rye) Seed extract in. A fun way to use more whiskey! What a fun way to add more whisky into my life in a responsible manner. My husband has tried it and loved it.
3. Cook with whisky – An easy way to incorporate more whisky into your life is to add it to your cooking. Whisky is great in stews and meat marinade. A fun and delicious way to incorporate whisky into a braai, is to make Chef Lesego’s awesome Three Ships Braai sauce. You can find his recipe here. It is delicious, easy to make and perfect for a big braai (BBQ). And just like that… more whisky.
4. WHIZZKY – Another great way to learn more about whisky is to make use the WHIZZKY App. A simple app you download onto your phone and it has so many uses. You see a whisky in the shop and you are not sure if it is good. You scan in the label and you can check tasting notes and ratings. When you taste a whisky, you can load your tasting notes and ratings. It even has an estimated price. What better way of keeping track of whisky that you liked. For anyone who likes whisky, this is the app to have. I use it frequently to check on interesting whiskies I find.
5. Read more about whisky – A good place to start is with the Malt Whisky Yearbook 2017. It is an up to date book with information about distilleries from all over the world. It has contributions from whisky greats like Charles MacLean and Ian Buxton to name but a few and it lists many whisky sites and new bottling. A great read and a superb place to start learning more. It is available from Whisky Brother online and good bookshops.