This week is John’s birthday and I decided to bake him some whisky cupcakes instead of a traditional birthday cake. Looking at my recipes, I choose a rich chocolate cupcakes with Glenfarclas 12 yo. It is a combination of my favourite chocolate cake recipe adding some Glenfarclass 12 yo.
Not only is the chocolate whisky cupcakes rich and moist, but also healthy as it includes avocados and some whole meal flour. We tasted the Glenfarclas during January and the sweet sherry nature of the medium bodied whisky stayed with me. This is not a complex whisky, but the flavours are beautifully balanced. It was easily one of the most sherried whiskies we have tasted. We rated it Excellent. I thought that it might work well with this rich chocolate whisky cupcakes to add an extra layer to the taste.
Ingredients (Makes 12 whisky cupcakes)
- 85 g good-quality chocolate
- 95 ml freshly brewed coffee
- 95 ml Glenfarclas whiskey
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole meal flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 65 ml olive oil
- ½ large very ripe avocado, mashed
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 185 ml plain yogurt (I used full cream)
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Place a small saucepan over low heat and melt the chocolate in the whiskey and freshly brewed coffee. Whisk until chocolate is completely melted. Then remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, both sugars, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together the mashed avocado, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth. Whisk in the cooled chocolate whisky and coffee mixture and the yogurt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips. The whisky cupcake batter should be pretty thick.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cup cake pan and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean, with just a few crumbs attached.
- Let cool in for 10 min before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
Decorating the Whisky cupcakes
I found an interesting Bourbon-Vanilla Bean Frosting on Yummly. The chocolate cupcakes are moist and sweet and I usually just dust them with some icing sugar. But I wanted our daughter to also be involved in the decorating process. I replaced the bourbon in the recipe with the Glenfarclas. Our 3-year-old added the pink sprinkles for this special occasion. I made a second batch of plain white butter cream frosting so that she can also share a cup cake with her daddy. Happy birthday daddy, from your 2 girls that love you very much.
Also Read: Whisky Truffles